Thursday, December 4, 2014

In A Nutshell

I feel like I have been moving at warped speed lately. With finishing 5 classes and immediately starting 5 more is can get overwhelming but I would rather be done sooner than drag it out.

Things are still pretty good around here, Kyle is finally back to a normal work schedule. However, when he doesn't have a rotation here his schedule is pretty relaxed which isn't a bad thing. We attended our first Hail and Farewell on Tuesday and it was great. Everyone is really nice and welcoming, since this is not a traditional setting like most military units it is a smaller group. I believe Kyle said there are only 46 people in his Task Force. 

A few kinks have come up but nothing terrible. He isn't able to run our half marathon next weekend because he will be working. I've done it before so I'll be just fine. Since he is the newest person in the task force he will be the OIC while everyone is on block leave for Christmas which means no traveling for the holidays. It could certainly be worse, I am just thankful that he loves his job. 

This weekend we have a full plate. Tomorrow is the Christmas Tree lighting on post and then off to the Deridder light show. Saturday we are heading to Natchitoches for the Christmas Festival, I have been waiting for this since we found out we were moving to Polk haha.


There will be good food, different types of craft vendors and amazing lights and fireworks.

Overall, I have to say that Polk is pretty amazing. The area, the people and the post have by far exceeded our expectations. Don't let anyone scare you about this place, it really is awesome.

Hope you all have a great Thursday!

26 comments:

  1. We are going to a light show this weekend too and a German Christmas Festival. I'm glad you are settling in and having a good time in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That festival looks fun. Scott was the OIC once. It was rough. However, each duty station/job has it's pluses and minuses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applaud you for being so active in other things when you have five classes. I'm sure the activity is a nice brain break, but I also know it's hard to pull yourself away from the studying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you are enjoying Polk! Good luck with your run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun with all of your upcoming holiday events!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, can't wait to see the pictures from the Christmas celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun the Christmas Festival of Lights will be! Please take lots of photos and tell us all about it next week!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so great that you're enjoying your time there so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I haven't been to a Christmas lights festival/display/lighting/anything in SO LONG. I miss it. Have all of the fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so great that you're finding things to do & having a lot of fun there! Ft. Polk is one of the places I'd be nervous for my husband to get next because I'm not used to the South or heat or bugs. You give me hope that if we made the best of it, we'd enjoy it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fun weekend.. that light show looks like it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my best friends lives in DeRidder. My goal is to make it there at some point to see her. We haven't seen each other since we were both stationed in Missouri in 2007!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That light show looks like a ton of fun! Glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are heading to the festival next week! I am super excited about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad your unit is cool, my husband is in a very small unit too and it is terrible. We can't wait to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are going to a Festival of LIghts this weekend too. I can't wait. HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to hear you are enjoying the area!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew you would like it! It's a very comfortable place really. And you will love the Christmas festival in Natchitoches. Oh, if you get a chance check out a double restaurant. It's right on the main drag they do the festival on. Its two restaurants next to each other, its very NOLA style. One side is called "Mama's" and its a restaurant the other side is called "Papa's" and is an oyster house. We loved it... Well I loved Mama's, I don't do seafood and my husband loved Papa's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was busy so we didn't get a chance to try the restaurants but we plan to go back for sure! :)

      Delete
  19. I'm so happy that you enjoy your new home, Jen! Also glad that Kyle loves his job, this is so, so important. Wow, 5 classes at once, don't overdo it and reserve some time to enjoy the season :-) Have a wonderful weekend, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. woah! when did you change your blog name? love it! i'm so behind on blogging. and reading blogs non-the-less. i'm sorry dear!
    -whit

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)