Monday, December 15, 2014

Cajun Country Half Marathon

Saturday I completed my first half marathon in Louisiana and my 11th overall. I have to say that this is one of my favorites that I have done so far. I was up at 3am to make the 2 hour drive to Lafayette, most of you know that Kyle had to work so he had to sit this one out. I knew the weather had potential to get warm so I brought my pullover just in case.

The race started at 7:30 and it was about 50 degrees, roughly 5 miles in I got hot and took it off, not complaining about the 70 degree weather that ended up happening in mid-December. I knew I was fast when I realized that I had beat my best 10 miler time by 8 minutes. I slowed down a bit to take in the scenery (I didn't take any photos boo) and enjoy the course. It was a big loop through neighborhoods and tree lined back roads plus it was relatively flat, which made for an awesome time.

I crossed the finish line and realized that I gained a PR!! I beat my fastest half time by 3 minutes. Hey, it isn't much but I'll take it.


The medal is pretty awesome and it's a bottle opener. :)


I didn't feel the need to stick around for the festivities afterwards so I headed home. Kyle ended up having to work a full day so we didn't make it to the Christmas parade, I wasn't bummed because I knew I was stick getting mexican food for dinner haha.

It was a great time and makes me even more excited for our half in New Orleans this weekend.

I hope you all had a great weekend!

21 comments:

  1. Congrats on the PR! Maybe the lower altitude of LA helped?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks! I'm definitely sure the altitude helped.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the PR! You are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, your 11th half marathon? That's amazing, lady! I've yet to do one, but it's on my list for next year!

    So fabulous you PRed by so much, way to goooooo!!!!! CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job this past weekend! I'm very jealous that you're going to New Orleans next weekend for another half!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your PR!! And that is the coolest medal I have ever seen!!! Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!! That medal with the bottle opener is awesome - they were definitely thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bottle opener! I'm running the Raleigh half in April largely because the shirt has a squirrel and the medal is an acorn bottle opener.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on the PR!! That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the PR and awesome about the bottle opener medal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy for you, Jen! This race sounds so awesome! And weather in the 70s, perfect! I'm waiting for spring before starting my training back up, as it's getting dark around 3:30pm here right now, and running in the dark by myself is not too much fun. Love the medal! Hope that the upcoming race is even better, especially since the two of you will be able to run together again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Aww thanks! I really did miss running with him.

      Delete
  11. Way to go on the PR!! And Mexican food is always a win. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the PR! I love the medal, it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, 3 minutes is 3 minutes :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome! hey any improvement is still improvement! I;m happy when I shave off 10seconds on my runs lately. That medal is really cool! I look forward to hearing about the NOLA Race!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)