Monday, December 8, 2014

A Very Festive Weekend

We enjoyed a very festive weekend!

Friday night was the Fort Polk Tree Lighting at the main post chapel. We had a great time and saw a few people that Kyle works with. We ended the night with delicious Mexican food and margaritas.


Saturday morning we headed up to Natchitoches for their 88th Annual Christmas Festival. As most of you know I have been ridiculously excited about this for a while. This town is amazing! It is the oldest in Louisiana and are celebrating their Tricentennial this year.

The highlight for me was seeing Robert Harling. His family is from and still lives in Natchitoches. For those of you who don't know who this is he wrote Steel Magnolias about his sister, Susan, and their family. He was the Grand Marshal for the parade.


The parade was awesome, they had a total of 88 floats and each one was better than the last. We ended up with a ton of goodies that were being thrown to include a lot of beads haha.



After the parade we headed to Front Street for food, fireworks and lights. Everything was decorated and we walked the streets and into some really cute shops. The fireworks happened over Cane River Lake and the show lasted about 30 minutes. After the fireworks they turned on the Christmas lights and it was incredible! The riverbank was covered in light displays and it was beautiful.


I am so glad we got the chance to go and we will definitely be going back next year!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

23 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend! I've never seen fireworks at a Christmas festival. That's pretty awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love Festive weekends!! I love all the lights and those fireworks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun. I went up to boulder city this weekend and that city is all about christmas festivities like this one! I'm sure it was just as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun!!! That seems like a really great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - Natchitoches looks awesome! So glad you guys got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome parade and light show!!! I haven't seen either of those things in a REALLY long time (Sitka parades are lame and we don't have any light shows, haha) so I love looking at all your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how they throw Mardi Gras beads at a Christmas parade!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have the most fun on your weekends. When Little E gets bigger I'm going to have to plan fun things on the weekends to do with her outside of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Glad you all got to enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I come visit you?! That looks like an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun weekend!! I love all the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun times. We enjoyed our grandchildren on Sat. Phil always plays a video game that he doesn't know how to play. He is game for about 20 min. Enjoy the beauty of the Christmas season. Enjoyed your fotos. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like you had so much fun! I love all the lights along the water!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like so much fun!! So glad you had a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pictures, Jen! I'm glad you had tons of fun at your activities.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was there a nativity made entirely out of sparklers? :)

    That looks like so much fun! I am pretty envious of you right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's cool that the Steel Magnolias author was there. Looks like you had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the town! I also love your pictures from the evening when it is all lit up. I know you said it doesn't do it justice but man it sure it pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)