Friday, May 25, 2018

Last Class

One of the things I have been dreading about this move was saying goodbye to my SLAM Leavenworth family. Well, today I have to do just that. I would have never thought that this group would change my life in the ways that it has. Not only has it enriched me so much as an athlete and changed me but it has provided me with friendships that will last a lifetime.

I remember coming to SLAM late last July at the insistence of my friend, Lauren. I was absolutely terrified. I had never been to an organized fitness class and I had no idea what to expect. I was intrigued though, because I could bring E with me and I didn't have to throw her into daycare. Before here I had never heard of Stroller Strong Moms. I went in completely blind. However, it wasn't what I thought it would be. It was far better. I was instantly welcomed into this community of women and encouraged every step of the way. 

SLAM is exactly what I never thought I needed. I have found that in order for me to support and nurture those around me, I have to do the same for myself. Having that hour for me in the morning with other like minded people has been life changing. 

Not only did they embrace me but they embraced my family. Welcoming E and Kyle into the family was icing on the cake. I know these workouts make an impact when Kyle is sore the next day and raves to everyone at how butt kicking they are. 
I realized through the HIIT workouts that I was so much stronger than I thought, but that I had so much that I could work on to improve and get better. I had no idea how important core workouts were when it comes to running. Solely because of SLAM I was able to over 10 minutes off of my run times for every distance (5k, 10k, and half). I knew that I had made the right choice by joining. Also having the option of Track workouts as well as Yoga is so beneficial. You also can never go wrong with themed classes haha.
 What I never expected were the friendships. These women are incredible and at a moments notice they are willing to drop everything to help each other out. To pick up kids, make meals, pick up slack when needed, be a shoulder to cry on, and someone to have a drink with. It is going to be hard to keep my emotions in check during class this morning because at the end of that hour, it will be all she wrote for me here. I will never forget this group of remarkable women and I know that they are friends for life. 
There are 11 SLAM affiliate locations around the country and I highly recommend it! Please check it out if you have one in your area. Stroller Strong Moms will change your life. I am lucky that I will get to join another location when I arrive in NC and I'm looking forward to making lasting friendships there as well. However, I will be sad about saying goodbye to this incredible family I've been a part of for the last 10 months.

14 comments:

  1. Leaving your tribe is always the hardest part of a PCS, and it looks like you literally found the best one with SLAM in Leavenworth. I can only hope to find half as good a group of people at our next station. Sending hugs, sweet Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like interesting time you've had with SLAM and amazing how they made your life different this past year. I'm sure you touched people's lives too. Moving is no fun especially when I've got great friends and always good to stay in touch.Nice photos of the group. Even a mama with triplets? Have a good trip to NC. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good-byes are the hardest. I said a bunch yesterday and ugh...Hopefully you find a great community at Bragg!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you can join another one! Such a great group to be a part of! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh! I am sad FOR you to leave them since I know they have become like your family there. I am so hopeful that you'll fall into a new group of amazing women at Fort Bragg, but it doesn't make leaving them any easier :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really inspires me how much you love your SLAM group! I would love to try it sometime in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friends leaving and being the one to leave is definitely the hardest part of Army life :( Sorry you had to say goodbye today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you had an amazing time with the SLAM group and I hope you have just as much fun at the new one. You have inspired me to look into a fitness group around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SLAM looked awesome and I'm so happy you got so, so much from it. It sucks to leave an amazing thing like that and I just hope you can find something as good in NC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So awesome! This sounds like a great group. I'd probably fall over and collapse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can feel the range of emotions in this post! SO happy that it happened, and so sad the the chapter has ended. Onward to new experiences in North Carolina, while maintaining your friendships that you so dearly made in Kansas. Happy closing day to you guys! I know you're probably busy at this very moment settling in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That does look like a really fun group. I'm glad you made lifetime friends. It's always bittersweet to say goodbye.

    On a funnier note, is your husband upside down in one of those pics?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joining one of these similar groups made a HUGE impact on my life in Hawaii! I hope your experience in NC is just as wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It always looked like such an enjoyable time and a great way to get in a workout. I hope the next group is just as awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)