Friday, October 13, 2017

We Remember

In 1988, President Ronald Reagan proclaimed that the month of October would be National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month saying this:

"When a child loses his parent, they are called an orphan. When a spouse loses her or his partner, they are called a widow or widower. When parents lose their child, there isn't a word to describe them. This month recognizes the loss so many parents experience across the United States and around the world. It is also meant to inform and provide resources for parents who have lost children due to miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy, molar pregnancy, stillbirths, birth defects, SIDS, and other causes."
Too often this type of loss is not talked about, some suffer in silence wondering why they have to endure such tremendous pain. It is important to advocate for those who are struggling with this type of loss and to show them that they are not alone and that they are loved.

When Kyle and I experienced our first loss in 2009 we did not know how to deal with it, with each loss after that we learned ways to get through it even though the pain did not go away. Talking about our journey and educating others has been incredibly therapeutic. Looks for events in your local area to support this cause. I am so thankful that my workout group, Stroller Strong Moms, is holding a special class today and a Hike to Remember afterwards. It is going to give solace to so many women who have been through this tremendous loss.

As I sit here and look at our precious miracle, Emersyn, I wonder how our lives would be different had we not experienced these losses. I wonder if we would be the same people we are now had we not endured all we did. We have been forever changed by the five precious lives that we never got to see on this earth and I chose to honor them forever with this tattoo, there are five hearts representing our babies who never got to know how much we love them and wanted them. 
We are beyond grateful for our daughter and as she gets older we want her to know the journey we experienced, to know that these babies (her siblings) were so wanted as was she, we want to be honest with her so that she will understand how loss like this happens far more than people think. 

To all those who have experienced this unspeakable loss, we remember your babies, and we will light a candle in their honor. 

Please consider lighting a candle at 7pm on October 15th which has been designated as Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day to remember all those precious babies that have been lost. 

16 comments:

  1. I love you!!! E and Addi and so many others are such amazing miracle babies. I will forever miss the three babies I never got to meet on this earth, and not a day goes by I don't think of them and the way they each changed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Love you!!! Your sweet babies are always thought of!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry you have had to endure these losses. You have a wonderful attitude about it and I am so happy you have your sweet miracle E. Thinking of you and the countless others with holes in their heart from this nameless loss today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously can't even imagine the pain of going through a loss like that. I'm glad that there's some sort of recognition for what parents who lose a child have to go through and that you've been able to discuss your losses with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you have posted about this before, and I am so glad that you have sweet E!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing a child is a pain that never goes away, I hate that you went through this and am glad to see how happy you are with Emersyn.

    My wife Cindy lost her first baby to SIDS thirty five years ago at five month old and that wound is still fresh, you learn to live with it but the pain never goes away. It definitely makes you a lot more appreciative of your other children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's 7pm here now so I'm lighting a candle. Thinking of you and everyone who has experienced such a terrible loss. You're amazing and I'm so glad you have E!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother and his wife lost their 2nd child through stillbirth, it really changed her as a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( this breaks my heart. No one should ever have to experience a loss like that.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful commemorative tattoo. We lost our second baby through a missed miscarriage, and I didn't think it would really affect me, but it did. I can't imagine the pain of so many. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming a day late here, but still sending you my love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hugs! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)