Wednesday, October 4, 2017

How To Help

There are really no words to express how I am feeling about the tragedy that occurred in our hometown. We have dear friends that have been affected, and it's absolutely devastating and we have been affected emotionally. There are still some who have not been accounted for and waiting is the worst. This is still my home and I will always consider it home. I was born, raised, and spent 22 years of my life living, working, and loving this city. It may not always be perfect but in times like this the spirit of all the wonderful people there is shining through.

I have had several people reach out to me and ask how they can help in the wake of what happened.

Here are some thing that can be done if you are in the local area or far away. 

1. Donate Blood.

This is one of the most immediate needs right now. As there are hundreds upon hundreds who have been injured the need for blood in the valley is at an all time high. Here are locations you can go to in order to donate if you are in the area.

*As of this moment they are not accepting any further blood donations but these services will be needed in the future so please be willing.*
2. Donate Money.

The Sheriff of the LVMPD (Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department) and the Clark County Commission Chair set up a go fund me account that is directly for the victims and their families. This fund has been remarkable thus far and have successfully raised over $2 million dollars. Please consider donating! While supplies are wonderful, it becomes difficult for organizations to find ways to transport these supplies especially when shipping is involved.


There is also the National Compassion Fund that has been setup for victims as well. 100% of these donations will directly go to them.


3. Share Mental Health Resources.

When a tragedy like this occurs it is imperative to ensure that all those left behind have access to services that they need. I have several friends who are mental health professionals and they have been offering their services to those who have been affected by this. 

Crisis Call Center's 24 Hour Hotline: 1-775-784-8090

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

There is a need for mental health professionals! If you are in the area please help.


4. Gift Card and Toiletry Donations

There are two points of contact that can be utilized.

Liberty Baptist Church
6501 W. Lake Mead Blvd
Las Vegas, Nevada 89108

The Las Vegas Convention Center
3150 Paradise Road
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109

5. Support First Responders and Medical Staffs

Also, if you are in the local area consider taking meals or coffee to first responders who are working tirelessly at hospital. UMC Hospital is the facility that is handling the most urgent and horrific injuries because they have the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the entire State. These individuals are working tirelessly to save lives please consider helping them as well. Even if you aren't in the area you can call orders into local restaurants and have food delivered. I know several people who have done that.

6. Write Your Representatives.

I do not want to make this a wholly political post but if you feel that gun laws need to be and should be adjusted please write your representatives and make your voice heard. Senseless tragedies like this should not happen. More needs to be done. I obviously do not have all that answers and I don't think anyone does but we all need to be educated regarding gun safety and teach the youth of this country the same.

I hope that these resources are able to provide support to those who need it most during this horrific time.

#VegasStrong

16 comments:

  1. So scary and sad, ugh. Thanks for all of the great ways we can help from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sad thing is if I wrote my rep (Trey Gowdy) or my senators Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott, they will do nothing. The NRA owns every member of the Republican Party and they all vote rank and file on gun issues. A few congress people across the country have been confronted about various things in town hall meetings and still the only thing they change is actually showing up to town hall meetings.

    Until they end lobbying, I don't see it changing in the future

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is hard to wrap my head around, I pray everyday for everyone involved and really don't know what to say.

    Your suggestions are excellent and I want to Thank you for offering them to us because there are a lot of people who want to help but don't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so so scary and sad. My prayers and thoughts are with your hometown, and along with that, I will donate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is so sad and senseless when something like this happens and it just hurts my heart. I loved seeing the huge lines of people that were waiting to donate blood in Vegas to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this. I'm still trying to process it all and I'm just so, so sad

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was devastating... I hope you have heard from everyone now... Lots of love to you and will help out how I can from here. Thanks for compiling this. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs! thank you for sharing! So many great ways to donate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The outpouring of love and support has been amazing!

      Delete
  9. I’m so sorry for your hometown, this was such a senseless tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so awful, it's really hard to see the victims come across the screen. This is a place many of us have been or will go. These tragedies are just coming to often and getting worse, no one likes it but how do we make it stop. Why would it even be a trend... I just don't get it. I really, really don't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you posted this. Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this. It feels good to be able to do something tangible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for posting this. I love the idea of sending food to first responders and medical staff.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)