Friday, August 25, 2017

Where Will We Go?

I've had quite a few people message me and ask me if we know what our next move will be after Kansas. As of right now we have no idea. As most who are affiliated with the military know nothing is ever truly set in stone. 


I thought I would break down exactly how this process works with the school that Kyle is attending. 

From now until June, Kyle is attending what is called the United State Army Command and General Staff College (CGSC). It is comprised of four different schools and Kyle is in the Command and General Staff Officer College (CGSOC). It is a 10 month long school that is designed to prepare the next group of field grade officers for pivotal leadership roles in their career. This is the ideal next step for a Captain who has been selected for promotion to Major. While Fort Leavenworth is the resident location there are also satellite locations as well.

In the early stages of this school soldiers have the opportunity to apply for what is called the School of Advanced Military Studies (SAMS). This school is for those who want to be highly specialized strategic planners within the military. There are only 120 spots available. Why do I mention this? Because this school is exactly why we have no idea what our possible next step could be. Kyle is in the process of applying, and if he is selected we will stay in Kansas for another year meaning a Summer 2019 departure. 

Kyle has until September 6th to submit all of his documentation (which everything is submitted except for one document from his small group leader) and then he will go through an interview process. We won't find out if he has been selected until December 13th. Until then he will continue to receive emails from perspective units that might be a fit for him. He will also have the chance to meet with a variety of units that will come here for interviews as well as continue to talk to his branch manager.

We, of course, have our list of places that we would like to go and then there are those places that aren't ideal but would be good for him. At the end of the day I'll go anywhere as long as it's good for his career. I'm adaptable. 

Here are our top choices:

1. Fort Bragg, NC. 

Who wouldn't want to go back to the center of the Army universe?! ;) We spent the first 4 years of Kyle's career here and we absolutely loved it. I will be honest and say that we didn't make the most of our time here and we would do it differently if we are ever given the chance to go back. Kyle thrives on being in an Airborne unit (I will never understand someone who loves jumping out of a perfectly good plane haha) and he wants to get back into that type of unit. 

2. Fort Lewis, WA. 

Kyle did a lot of his ROTC training in College at Lewis (he attended Washington State University, Go Cougs!) and he loves the area. Beyond that he has a desire to work with the Corp that is there and it could greatly benefit his career. Plus, I have never been to this part of the country and it would be an awesome adventure. 

3. Fort Hood, TX.

This is one of the posts that is not ideal for us but we would make the most of it. The reason it is even remotely on the list is because it's a BIG post and job opportunities for Kyle are abundant. Would I mind moving back to Texas? No, but it wouldn't be my first choice. 


Of course, at the end of the day where we go is dependent on the needs of the Army and a wish list is just that. A wish haha. 

There is never a dull moment when it comes to this life! 

19 comments:

  1. Fort Bragg is the only one I've heard of due to its fairly close range to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY DAD IS A PROFESSOR AT A SATELLITE CAMPUS IN VIRGINIA!!! How cool he's going through CGSOC, good luck to him with his courses and getting MAJOR! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as location goes, Lewis is definitely my hope for our next duty station! I'll keep my fingers crossed for Kyle getting into this school :) it sounds like a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our friends that are in the Air Force say the exact same thing, they never know for sure where they're going, and it takes a while to actually figure it out. At the end of the day they want to go where it's best for his career, which is exactly the mindset that you have, but it would be awesome to go somewhere fun too! I know that y'all would love Washington and would have a blast exploring that part of the country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always told Daniel I never understood his need to be a paratrooper...so I went skydiving with him to see what all the fuss was about and I still don't get it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of the state's you mentioned I would choose North Carolina also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have people asking me what's next after Recruiting duty. I'm like "You don't want to hear the long list of options" lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Years ago when I was PSC stateside, I wanted to be at McCord AFB or Petersen AFB, CO. But I got Holloman AFB in the desert. Wound up living in NM for 10 years before I came back home to Oregon with family in tow! Never know what the wish list will take you to. That's why it's a WISH list. I hope you get one of your top choices!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick has been really lucky in getting his top first or second choices throughout the past 14 years so I am waiting for the day that we go somewhere totally random that we don't want to go. I would love to go to Washington. Nick was stationed there while we were dating. I would fly out there a lot to visit and I just fell in love. I would love to go back to explore more of that area. We still have about 1.5-2 years left here but am thinking that Washington, Washington DC, or Connecticut might be good places for us, places where there are jobs for Nick that we might also want to live. But we will see!! After 5 years in Hawaii, it would be awesome to go somewhere I have never lived before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely there is not. My favorite last minute change I think I told you. My son joined Infantry and was set to go right after boot camp overseas. Literally at the last second, he was told to take his stuff off of the bus and put it on the one to Airborne instead. I still breathe a sigh of relief that it happened. Set a path for him that kept him in the US. He wasn't happy about that at all, but I was/am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh goodness! Another move! I feel for you! With moving so much, you have to have packing down! I'm terrible at packing and cannot imagine moving as much as you all do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kev did CGSC remote but I know people love that year in KS! We are trying to figure out if we should move this coming summer or next.. no idea what we want though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just commented but I am not sure it went through. All great spots for your next assignment but hoping Kyle gets SAMS too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I see..! Fingers crossed he gets into the next school and you guys get to stay in Kansas for another year and then Ft. Bragg!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All great posts! Hope you all get what you are hoping for!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We want to go to JBLM so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find this stuff so interesting, seeing how people plan out (or not!) the major steps in their lives. I'm really hoping you get the choice you want, and that's best for Kyle's career too. I think you're the kind of person who will make the best of it wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)