Thursday, August 17, 2017

2017 Goals: Update

I haven't done a goals update since March and I thought it was time to check in.

Here is how things are going.


*Finances- This is probably the goal that I am the most proud of! Since we purchased my car brand new last March, my goal has always been to pay it off early. Kyle gives me full control of the finances so my focus was structuring our budget so that we could always make monthly principle payments on the loan. Now while this isn't always an option for most I was determined to make it happen. After a lot of hard work and determination, we successfully paid off my car on August 4th! A whopping 3 1/2 years early. Now we can focus on our one credit card, after that is paid off, hopefully by mid-2018 we will be 100% debt free! 

*Health- As most of you already know, I am an avid runner. One thing I haven't always enjoyed is other forms of working out. It was just never my thing. Using weights, machines, etc., just never interested me. I always got bored. However, that all changed when I started going to Stroller Strong Mom classes. When you have a baby going to regular gym classes isn't always an option because some don't have childcare and some are expensive. I love that I can take E with me (and there are usually fun things for the kids to do during and after class) and I can get a great workout in that includes running and circuit training. Beyond the workouts I am making great friends, which is an added bonus. I have definitely noticed a difference in how I look and feel. I have more energy and confidence. 

*Be More Present- I think this is one that most people struggle with and I'm no exception. I have tried to make it a point to disconnect for periods of time during the day. I don't have my phone in my hand when I am playing with E because that takes away from her. I do keep it close, mostly so I can take photos of something cute she does. I also put my phone away for at least an hour after E goes to bed so Kyle and I can have downtime. It's nice to just talk about our days and focus on spending that quality time together. While it won't always be perfect, but it's working right now. 

*Declutter- This goal has stalled for right now. Since we are mostly settled there isn't much that we need to get rid of at the moment. We do still have some boxes in the garage that need to be broken down and taken to the recycling center but otherwise this goal is on hold.

I really am proud with how these goals are going. I certainly hope to continue on this path and to end the year on a high note in these areas! 

Did you make goals for 2017? If so, how are they going?

21 comments:

  1. Holy cow! I didn't realize you were able to pay the car off in a year and a half?! That's AMAZING! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing AMAZING with your finances! Our big goal for Ryan's deployment was to totally pay off our starter loan, and we're almost there with 2.5 months left. We would have paid it off earlier, but our dog being hit by a car was a large financial blow lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 2 more years until my car is paid off and we are talking about paying it off early as well. Finances are a hard one!
    Being more present is something everyone should do!
    One of my biggest goals for this year is to get passports. Easy and completely doable but I haven't even started the process yet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for mentioning passports! We need to do that too!

      Delete
  4. Great great work on the goals, lady! Woohoo no more car payment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm slightly obsessed with paying off debt. Good for you paying off your car SO early!!! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should be debt free around the same time - mid 2018! I am so hoping we can do it. We got behind when unexpected moving expenses came up - over $3,000. Don't even get me started on that one! Anyway, after this month we will have zero credit card debt, then our next goal is our career starter loan. After that, we just have Greg's student loans which aren't a huge priority because they're small and have low interest...but I want em gone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Unexpected moving expenses are the worst!!! Woo hoo! It's so nice being able to check off unwanted debt off the list. Great job!!!

      Delete
  7. Awesome goals! That is amazing that you paid off your car so fast! Keep up the good work, being debt free is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing job on paying off that car early!! Woot! Woot!! I loved strength training classes when I was in college. Now there isn't a gym nearby, so I have to do it all alone. Don't you love how certain workouts make you feel so much better about yourself?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great goals!!! You are doing great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! We just had a tax rebate that repaid the rest of the dent in our savings that we made by buying our new car, too. We got the cheapest we could find though so it wasn't such a big job! That was a really good feeling. I don't feel settled enough to start making goals yet, although having said that you've just done a big move too so that's not really an excuse. Maybe I'll start making them again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so awesome that you were able to pay the car off early! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are hitting it out of the park with your goals! I cannot wait to pay off our van, it's such a hassle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your goals. Putting down the phone or the laptop...sooooo hard to do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! It is hard but definitely worth it. :)

      Delete
  14. Good goals! I try to stay off my phone as well and lap top. just walk away...don't touch it. I got one bill paid off a few months early and we got some money back as an overage...great! Right time as we were going on a trip. Our house gets paid off early 2020! Still working on the credit cards. Debt free before we retire is a great idea.....oh I don't like thinking of getting so much older...but it's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on paying off the car, that's huge!! Happy you found a class you like too, where you can take your little one with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are awesome goals and you are doing great with them! I am the opposite of you. I love lifting weights but I hate running and cardio!! I need to be working on being more present, too. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done on paying off the car!! Here's to being almost debt free, it's such a nice weight off the shoulders!! And I'm glad you're enjoying doing circuit training, etc. I always find them to be quite fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are killing your goal list! Being more present is something I am working on as well. I think the more I do it the easier it is.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)