Friday, April 27, 2018

Run All the Races, Have All The Fun.

I'm sure after a while me talking about running isn't the most exciting thing haha. However, when it's something that you do on a consistent basis it's exciting to talk about. Plus, it's a great way for me to remember the experiences. 

Last weekend we ran the 2nd half marathon of the Heartland 39.3 series. It was the Garmin Half Marathon. The race was in Olathe at the Garmin Headquarters, which apparently is called the Land of Oz. Due to the fact that this is the place the writer of The Wizard of Oz visited last prior to writing the story. This race is completely Oz themed and it's so fun! People were dressed in full costumes and it was pretty amazing to see. I couldn't imagine running any distance in a full costume. 

Kyle and I along with 2 of my friends from SLAM were running the half. I ran with my friend Sara for the first five or so miles. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say it was HILLY! Holy cow! One hill after another. They were not sweet rolling hills either, they were horrendous straight up hills. At one point we turned a corner and we both let out a loud "UGH!". Overall, it was a great race though, despite the challenging course I was happy with my time. Kyle and I both were thrilled when we were done haha. It felt good being able to check the 2nd race of the series off the list.
I mean how amazing is this medal!? They are retiring the Dorothy theme for the next few years so I'm thrilled to have gotten this one. 
Sunday, was another race morning. I was running the Queen's Romp 5k in Leavenworth. It was nice to not have to go far. I was running this race solo as it was just for women. We had 55 ladies from SLAM that were running. It was incredible. Kyle was amazing enough to hang out at the SLAM tent while we all ran. They were happy to stay out of the drizzly weather.
It was an AWESOME morning. So many mamas ran their first 5k ever, some running for the first time since having a baby, and some were able to PR their previous times. It was even more amazing because we were able to bring home the Spirit Award. 

I'm not going to lie I had every intention of taking it easy for this race because of the half from the day before. However, when you get going and just feel the rush of adrenaline and the energy from everyone else it kicks you into high gear haha. I ended up with a PR of 23:32 and I was pretty stoked. Honestly, the experience of running with my friends was the best part. 
We have a few more races that will get us through our time in Kansas and I can't wait for them!

Have a great weekend!!

16 comments:

  1. That is a great time on your 5K! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a great race.

      Delete
  2. What a weekend for you to run! I like the Dorothy shoes medal too! I'm thinking of entering a 5k walk/run for union gospel mission in June. Not sure if I've got the stamina up for the walk...I can with some more walks as we walk but only a mile. Mmmm. Guess I'll test it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medals were definitely my favorite!!! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the Wizard Of Oz theme for the half that you ran and the medal is so cute with the ruby red shoe! I normally don’t train with hills so they always kill me too when I’m running a race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you PR the last one that you were "taking easy"?! Way to go! I agree, friends make the running experience so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never get tired of seeing your race pictures and hearing about your races! I think it is so awesome! I also love that you're so close to my hometown, so I always see your pictures and then pictures from other friends who ran the same races. I just think that's really neat! And you're a rock star for running SO many races. I can tell it's what you really love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE reading all your race recaps. You have been motivating me to slowly build my running back. We hope to be at Leavenworth in two years, and I want to do all these races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! So glad I can be a motivator for you. Definitely keep track of the races we have done, they are so much fun!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your runs! I'm always amazed on how many you do. I can barely force myself to do the 2 mile daily jog that I need to complete since I love my junk food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! Haha you could do it! :)

      Delete
  8. I love seeing you progress on your races, girl!! You are getting faster and faster each week, I'm sure you'll be running a sub 20 min on a 5k soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I comment this on almost every post these days, but congrats on the PR! And I love that Dorothy medal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun medal! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)