Monday, April 9, 2018

Sunday’s Are Made For Running!

Yesterday, along with 35 other SLAM moms that made up 4 teams, I ran and completed the Brew to Brew 44.3 mile relay race. It took us from Kansas City, Missouri to Lawrence, Kansas. We have been planning for this event for quite time and if any of you have ever run a relay type event you know how logistically difficult it can be. 

We all met up at 6:30am to make convoy to the start line together and get ready. It worked out really well.
I was the Team Captain for my team of 9 which was named Run Like A Mother (fitting right!? haha). I was responsible for getting us to the correct exchange points to make sure our runners were where they needed to be to start and to pick up our finished runner. To be honest it went so much smoother than we ever expected. We were a fine tuned machine by the end haha.
The weather was another story haha! We had rain, snow, sleet, clouds, and anything but sunny weather. It was cold but we all pushed through it and had an amazing time. You can see snowflakes in these photos haha.
I didn't run until leg 9, which was a little over 4 miles. I can see why it was only that distance, it was HILLY! Holy cow, one hill after another plus it was nothing but gravel and mud. I was thrilled with my time though.

 Getting my leg started and coming into the exchange.
 Making the exchange with our leg 10 runner!
We had made the decision to all run as a team at the finish line. Once we got there we knew we had a bit of time before she arrived so we just hung out. Kyle and E made the drive to the finish and he snapped some photos for us. We spotted her and we all ran together to the end.
Crossing that finish line was awesome!
After it was all said and done our team finished the 44.3 mile relay in 6:18:52! We were 7th out of 34 female teams and 44th overall out of 242 teams. It was incredible and such a memorable experience. We spent the time laughing, joking, and just having a blast. I am so thankful for the team that I had, they were all amazing. Love these ladies so much.
The whole SLAMfam knocked it out of the park! So proud of everyone.

Since we knew that the logistics of Kyle and I both doing this relay would be hard, he wanted me to have this experience. He asked if I could find him a race to do the same morning. I found a 5k that he and E could do. I was so proud of him when he sent me a text that he was finished and placed 2nd in his age group. 
Needless to say it was a great running day for the both of us!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. WOW! You ladies are amazing! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!! It was such a fun experience.

      Delete
  2. What a great experience! I am so thrilled that you found your tribe in Kansas. I miss my Kansas tribe every day...it is such a special year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems like such a fun race. So glad the logistics worked out because that could have been rough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun experience! I am so glad we were able to do it.

      Delete
  4. This is so incredible! I love that you've made such good friendships through this group :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother has been a part of one of the relay teams and done the transportation aspect and he always has a ton of fun! That’s awesome that y’all all crossed the finish line together and had such a great time too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I was just bragging about you and your running to my mom the other day. We're both VERY impressed by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so so sweet!!!! Thank you for such amazing words of encouragement.

      Delete
  7. Way to go. I love that running is so important to you. I need to get back into it more. Super impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like so much fun!! Awesome job to everyone. I

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an inspiring feat! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This seems like soo much fun!! Glad you awesome ladies had a blast and well done on your times!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of you are amazing! And how awesome for E that she's done all these races since before birth! Way to go Smith fam and SLAM ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)