Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Buying A Home....Again

When Kyle and I found out that we would be making our way to back to Fort Bragg, housing was the biggest topic of discussion. We knew immediately that post housing would be out because of the size. Now don't get me wrong the convenience of living on post is great but I wasn't willing to sacrifice space just for that. Renting was never something we wanted to do either. Kyle knew that it meant a commute for him. We agreed that anything more than a 30 minute drive for him would be pushing it. We were admittedly hesitant to buy again after our last experience but it made the most sense.

We knew the general area that we wanted to be in and then I started the search for a realtor. I lucked out and found an AMAZING realtor who also happens to be a military spouse. I mean we couldn't have asked for anyone better. She started a listing cart for us and honestly made the process so seamless. The next big step was figuring out financing, for us the VA loan was the way to go. Then picking a lender, while we love USAA for most things, we did not love them of our last home buying experience. We opted to go with a local lender and we are so glad we did. We are working with the branch manager and everyone involved in this process knows each others and works amazingly well together. 

We knew that we had a few things that we were not willing to sacrifice when it came to a home. One was a play area for E. We want her to have her own space so that way the rest of the house isn't overtaken by toys and her room isn't a total disaster. In this house there is a flex space upstairs (it's called that because it does not have a closet) and that will be her area. It's a good size room and more than enough space for her to feel comfortable. 
Another thing was a fenced in backyard. We NEED this for both our sweet pup and for E. Most new constructions don't already come with a fence so to get lucky and have one already installed was amazing.
This one might sound silly but a bathtub in the master was a must for me. That is my relaxation after a long day. I looked one house that I loved from afar and it didn't have one so it was an instant no. Excuse me while I daydream about this tub haha.
We were very selective when it came to buying a home again because we know there is potential for us to be there for quite a while. The job possibilities for Kyle are endless, we are anticipating at least 3 years but it could be longer. We wanted the home we chose to be perfect for us and this home really is.

Up to this point the process has gone incredibly smooth. We were able to select a few things from the builder to have installed including wood blinds throughout the house as well as the refrigerator. It was nice being able to have a say in those things. We had our home inspection last week and a few things need to be fixed but they are minor. The appraisal is being done today and that is another big ticket item being checked off the list. Our realtor has been absolutely phenomenal in handling pretty much everything for us. It has made this process so much easier especially since we aren't there in person. 

I am so grateful that this process has been so seamless and I'm hopeful that it will continue that way. I'm not going to lie we were extremely nervous about making this type of commitment again especially while Kyle is still active duty but honestly it makes the most sense. We are both thrilled with the decision we have made. 

19 comments:

  1. Yay, so exciting to buy a home! Your bathtub looks amazing! Continued good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you and your family!!! What a beautiful house. I think this was a great decision for you! Nick and I are waiting to buy a house when he retires. At this point he only has to do 5 more years so it's not that far off but I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t even imagine the stress of buying a house when you don’t even live close to the state! I’m glad that y’all found a good realtor (and one that’s a military spouse so understands what y’all are going through is even better) and that the process is going even smoother this time around. I bet that E is going to love having her own space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so, so excited for y'all!!! It's so interesting how our choices in life change as situations change. Last night, I was talking to Andy about living off-post when we get to our next assignment so we can be closer to where more jobs are in my field. We never imagined ourselves living anywhere but on post, but it just makes sense to try to lessen a long commute for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that things are falling into place with buying this home. I know you all will love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome that things are going smoothly!! Moving house is painful enough, but buying a house in a different state is another bag in itself!! Ooh, I'm so jealous you have a bathtub. I've not had one for 6 years and I do miss it!! Can't wait to see more of the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so exciting!! I'm sure you're so excited to make it a home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't imagine moving as much as you guys, that's a job in itself

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so great when you find a great realtor! We too got lucky when we moved to Texas from California and our realtor was amazing!
    Our kids have always had a play area and it has made things like clean up and when friends are over so nice. Their bedrooms stay clean and everything is in the one room. I've always loved having a room for their toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! This is exactly why we want a playroom for her. We want her to have a space that is solely hers to explore and play.

      Delete
  10. I am so stinking happy for you guys that you found something that checked all the boxes you were looking for and I'm eager to follow along on this new journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad it's going to be a new house for you and your family! Prayers that all goes smoothly! Good idea of that flex space. E will have some fun years living there! Enjoy the time you have in KS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That bathtub space looks like it could be the ultimate comfort space!

    I’m glad everything is going well for you all so far!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want a nice spacious bath in my master bathroom too. I haven't taken a bubble bath in forever. I hope the house hunting goes smoothly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such great news! Congrats. What a lovely house, I hope you'll all be very happy there :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you found a house you love! I love a good bathtub too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)