Monday, April 24, 2017

National Infertility Awareness Week

For a week in April every year is National Infertility Awareness Week. Did you know that 1 in 8 couples are dealing with the heartbreaking impact of infertility? This is a staggering number and more awareness needs to be out there for it. It should not be a taboo subject, it should be openly talked about and it shouldn't be something that brings shame.


I never imagined that Kyle and I would be one of those couples. We spent 7 years on an emotionally, physically, and mentally exhausting journey. When you get married and plan to have children you never expect for that dream to take a long time. We never thought that we would be considered a statistic.

We spent years dealing with miscarriages, medications, new doctors, failed cycles, countless negative pregnancy tests, and overwhelming disappointment. It was absolutely devastating. It was not something that we ever expected to go through, it left us both questioning ourselves and it led to bouts of depression. It tested our marriage in more ways than I ever thought possible, it has not been an easy journey. 

We absolutely understand that we are HUGELY blessed to finally have our healthy baby girl but there are still so many out there who have not made it to this point and that breaks my heart. We have been lucky to have the amazing support and love from family and friends since day one but not everyone has that because they are still struggling in silence.

I will continue to do all I can to bring awareness to this important cause because we lived it for 7 years.

So I ask you all to listen to those you know are struggling with this, ask questions, and offer support in any way that you possibly can. Let them scream, cry, be silent, or be angry. Take them to dinner, bring them coffee, or just let them know that you are there for them. Understanding infertility and bringing awareness is absolutely critical. Let those who are struggling know that they are loved and that they are supported.

You all have been a part of our journey and you each have played a huge role in getting us to where we are today. Support means everything to those who are on this journey.

15 comments:

  1. Love this and I'm seriously SO happy for your family. Your little girl is beautiful and I know she brings you so much joy!

    I was wondering if maybe you can do a post or perhaps comment here with some ideas on what was helpful for you to hear from friends while you were struggling? I have several close friends that have struggled or are still struggling, and I always TRY to say the right thing but I often worry I'm not. I know just listening can be a huge help but maybe you have suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife has a disorder which screws up her eggs and their release. She has to take medicine everyday to get her menstrual cycle back in order. Hasn't become a problem for us yet as we are not currently seeking to have a child. But it may someday.

    Funny enough, I had a brand new neice born today

    Currently 3 nephews (one was a stillbirth) and 3 nieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope that it does not cause problems for you guys later down the line.

      Delete
  3. Thank you SO much for this post! Honestly, I didn't know I'd have trouble getting pregnant, and yet there I was in December, getting stuck with injections and waiting for an IUI. But now I feel so blessed to be pregnant with this little girl, and I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so so excited for you guys!! Your little girl is so lucky to have you.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for posting this. It makes me so happy to see pictures of your beautiful baby girl. I have PCOS and I am really nervous that when I am ready to have a baby it's going to be hard. I am really thankful for everyone, especially bloggers, who have opened up more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine everything that y'all went through when you were trying to get pregnant. I know that just having supportive people around you, even if they don't understand everything has got to be a big help. All the hardships and struggles definitely paid off though to have your beautiful baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this post with us and I am thankful you and Kyle stayed together through the struggle of infertility. So thankful for your baby E. I've prayed for you and a few others in their struggles in this path and hope we all can stand together to support each other when life hits each other hard. God bless you, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thank you so very much for always being so supportive.

      Delete
  7. Wow! What a powerful post! I'm sure so many women need to hear your comforting words! So glad you made it through and are blessed with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how open you've been. I have friends who go through this without support and I feel like the more stories are shared, the better support systems will be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little girl is sooo precious and even more so because of this journey. I love how open you are about it and I know that some of my friends have also struggled in their journey to become parents.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)