Wednesday, April 12, 2017

My Therapy

4 years ago I started a journey that changed my life in more ways than I ever thought possible. Ever since Kyle and I got married he had begged me to go running with him, and I just didn't want to do it. It wasn't something that interested me because it just seemed so tedious. 

After we moved from North Carolina to Texas, I saw an advertisement for a mud run and I thought okay this sounds fun, let's do it. Well, that event changed everything for me. I realized that running wasn't boring and that I actually enjoyed it. I mean who wouldn't like running through muddy obstacles and ending up like this:


After that race, I started running on a regular basis and made it a point to take that time as a way to focus on me. It was free therapy and also a way for me to lose weight. I was still struggling with significant weight gain from fertility treatments and I had a horrible body image. It helped me lose 50 pounds and finally have confidence again.

Since that race 4 years ago, running has continued to be my therapy and it has allowed us to participate in some pretty amazing events. We have met some wonderful people along the way and it is such a supportive community. I never imagined that this one race would lead to 71 total races and thousands of miles.

I ran until I was 36 weeks pregnant with E and I always chuckled at the funny looks I got from people, but at the same time it made me feel pretty awesome. 


I have dealt with injuries and pain along the way but I have done my best to listen to my body and not push it when I need to rest. Dealing with my back problems earlier this year was difficult but I knew I had to just take it easy. 

I also realized how my body has changed after having E, including my feet (which is something no one ever told me lol). I have been a Saucony fan since I was fitted back in El Paso but my shoes were killing me. I got refitted yesterday and went with Brooks this time. It's important to invest in good shoes, I never realized how critical this is.


I love being able to lace up my shoes and zone out for a few miles. Some days I run solo, sometimes it's me and E, and sometimes we go on family runs.


I don't run with music so taking in all the sights and sounds is one of my favorite things. I have to be able to hear what is going on around me. I am so grateful that I found this outlet that has allowed me to just decompress and relax. It has changed me in more ways than I could have ever imagined. I'm not the fastest runner but that's okay, speed has never been my overall goal.


What do you do to relax and recharge?

26 comments:

  1. I used to run. Never got back into it but I remember being able to zone out while running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always SWORE I would never run. And then just like you, I did a mud run. Then my evil friends convinced me to run a little more with them. And I've realized it's actually not so bad. I haven't made it a priority lately, but I'm thinking once we get moved in, Caesar and I will start up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed that you ran until 36 weeks! I have no idea how women do that...I had to quit running at about 24 weeks because it was making my ligaments hurt so much. I can't wait to get back to it!

    Also, those Brooks are gorgeous! By far one of my favorite shoe brands - I love their casual walking shoes too (also, they're based in Seattle, so I'm a little biased). Brooks and Asics fit my feet the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post so much! While I'm definitely not a big runner, I still enjoy doing the occasional 5K run, and I love the fact that it gives me a little me time and helps me to stay healthy as well. I still can't believe that you ran that race at 36 weeks, and it's seriously so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome! Plus you'll have a fun hobby to share with E. I'm sure she will be athletic like you both are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much sweet friend! I hope she grows to love it.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad running helps you a lot!

    Reading is what helps me to re-charge. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that reading helps you re-charge, it really is nice to curl up with a good book. :)

      Delete
  7. I ran back in high school and after for a long time. I always hated it. I don't know why I did it for so long. haha I have always enjoyed writing. I have kept a journal since 1997 and wrote anything and everything that came to mind or that I was feeling. That's what brought me to blogging. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post. I have loved following the journey. It's truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to walk my dog while listening to music. I got a little nervous as a few times I didn't hear the cars passing by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel!!! I get nervous because I can't hear anything around me.

      Delete
  10. When I do manage to run - would you believe I used to run cross country? :P - I do run without music as well. I love zoning out! And I love that you guys do this as a family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Losing 50 pounds is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always in endless awe of runners. Mostly because I will only run to chase a baby or the ice cream truck. Props to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you are too funny! You can come run with me! :)

      Delete
  13. I love this post. I am so glad that you have found an outlet that works for you and is healthy for you! For me, yoga helps me a lot to relax and recharge, and I love just sitting at the beach with coffee and a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you've found something healthy that works for you! <3 Maybe I need to think about running... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love hearing about your journey with running!! I am not a runner at all, but I LOVE walking. In the spring, summer, and fall I walk a few miles each evening after dinner, and it is my very favorite time of day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am constantly inspired by you! I can't wait to see your Disney Land races. Also, Brooks have been my fav since having kids, they just fit better, idk why.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You go girl! I'm not really sure why but Brooks have never felt good, but I agree with you - it is therapy. I am impressed you don't run with music!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad that you were willing to try it and that running has become such an awesome part of your lifestyle! I'm still not a runner, but I hear a lot about running and I've spent a LOT of time in sports stores in search of the perfect pair of shoes for Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE this post SO much! 1) I don't listen to music while running either because I love to hear the birds and everything around me! 2) I admire that you ran until 36 weeks pregnant! You are so my role model. I hope one day I will be able to do that! 3) It's such cheap therapy! I love coming home and lacing up my shoes and heading out 4) Now I need your help!! My husband doesn't love to run, but he'd like to lose some weight and tries to please me by running with me from time to time. How do I get him to love it? Today we did 2 miles, which was a great start, but he hates the whole run!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so so sweet!!! I love that you love running so much. It really is such an amazing outlet and I wish more people could or would embrace it. As far as your husband, it's so hard to make someone love something especially if they have no vested interest in it (I hope that makes sense). Maybe find a local 5k that you guys could do together, having a goal to reach can make all of the difference. That is what changed it for me.

      Delete
  20. I love Brooks. When I decided to do my first half, I realized at my first long run that my current shoes would not cut it. I did a fitting and fell in love with the shoes I still use.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)