Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Easy Treats

With Kyle's new job he spends a lot of time in the field which means he is either not eating or eating junk. I decided for this next rotation that I would make him snacks that he can keep in his truck.

Trail Mix is one of his favorite treats but it's not cheap to buy. I decided to make my own...it was cheaper to make it than it was to buy a small bag. I was able to make 12 baggies with 1 cup of trail mix in each.

In this trail mix there is:

cashews
peanuts
almonds
sunflower seed kernals
m&m's
raisins

Another treat Kyle loves is homemade nutrigrain bars. I love this recipe because I can individually wrap them and freeze them until they are ready to be eaten. One batch can make approximately 15, so it's more than enough to last for the 2 weeks he is in the field.


1 cup butter (or margagine) softened (30 secs in microwave worked well for me)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1 teaspoon almond extract 

press 1/2 the mixture into a 9X13 greased baking pan
spread a whole lot of jam (such as strawberry or raspberry preserves) on the top
crumble the rest of the mixture on top of the jam layer

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
Cool and cut into bars
 
These are always a hit, so I definitely suggest making them!

What are some of your go to easy treats?

18 comments:

  1. the bars sound good! I will have ttry them asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try the nutrigrain bars, they sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great ideas! I make trail mix sometimes (usually just in the fall with candy corn, though, haha), but I've never thought of making those bars because I don't like them... but my husband does, so I may just try! He needs snacks to get him through his long days of classes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of making homemade Nutri Grain bars, but these look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you've got me wanting cashews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! Do these more often, please :) I'm seriously planning to make those bars now - with Isaiah's new job he'll be needing to take snacks to work with him, and those sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those treats look awesome! I bet they're healthier than the store-bought stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm that trail mix looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try and so that for Chris to before he goes to the field so he isn't living off Mountain House meals. Lol. Trail mix is the best, and so filling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! And what a good wife you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving this food! The homemade nutrigrain bar is something I could be interested in trying. I am into baking when the mood strikes. estherdavison@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, those nutrigrain bars look divine. I bet my husband would love them while working at the airfield all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love making our own trail mix! But those nutrigrain bars look really good. I might have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both some of my husbands favorite treats. Thanks for sharing! Will definitely be making them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. YUM!! Those are WAY better than MRE's and the crap in the field.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)