Sunday, August 5, 2012

Kartchner Caverns

Yesterday was another fun filled day of exploring Sierra Vista and the surrounding areas. We drove out to Benson and went to the Kartchner Caverns State Park. We booked a tour for the Throne Room and Rotunda for the afternoon and were so excited. We got the park around 11:30 and brought our lunch so we could have a picnic before we started the tour at 1. We were surrounded by nature and it was beautiful:


The area surrounding the picnic table

I just loved this tree


After we finished lunch we still had some time and we decided to take a walk down one of the trails, it was stunningly beautiful!!


Underneath these two hills are the caves.




When we started the tour I had no idea what to expect because this is still an active cave. Formations are still happening and water still flows through it, because of this we could not take pictures or bring anything in with us. To say these caves are amazing is a complete understatement. We were blown away at the beauty and the formations in this cave. I was able to find 2 photos from the Arizona Park service website to show you what we saw:


This is the rotunda- I was in complete awe!

The Throne Room and Kubla Khan- A 58 foot tall column formation- Again absolutely amazing!!


These caves were discovered in 1974 and it took them 25 years to open them to the public. I am so glad they did. 

I was excited when I realized that they had spoons in the gift shop, I picked up this beauty for my collection:





Today we are spending the day grocery shopping, doing laundry and finally relaxing. We now have to come up with something to do next weekend haha. I'm sure we can find something.


I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing from you!! :)