Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Finding A Routine Again

One of the hardest things about moving for me is getting back into a workout flow. Before leaving Kansas I was running consistently and going to SLAM everyday. For the first 2 weeks of being in NC it was hard finding that balance. I hadn't started going to my new SLAM yet and I had only run twice since arriving. Let me just say that I could tell my mental health was struggling significantly because of it. I was irritable and every little thing set me off, it was a horrible funk. Something had to change. My primary focus at the time was to get the house unpacked as quickly as possible. Once that was done I felt a huge sense of relief. 

I set my focus on getting back into my workout routine. I started going to SLAM again and I had to make running a priority. Not only is running my outlet and my way of relaxing but I am also running the Chicago Marathon in 109 days! That's a little daunting to think about. I know that I can do it but it's a matter of getting back into that rhythm of running and training. I will have to be creative with my training and my longer runs will have to be done on post to get the distance that I need. I know that it can and will get done. 

Working out is the one that thing that I do for me. I am the best version of myself when I have that outlet, I am able to be a better mom and wife as well. Kyle knows that working out helps me mentally as well as physically. He is always the first to encourage me and push me out the door when I'm losing the motivation to run. That's exactly how it was on Monday. I tried to come up with every excuse under the sun to not run. It was hot, my garmin was dead, etc. Kyle looked at me, shook his head and told me to suck it up and go. Well, I did and I'm so glad. I took those 4 miles and just relaxed. I felt like me again. I feel rejuvenated and excited to tackle marathon training.
Any sort of transition that throws you out of your routine is hard. I had to realize that it was okay to be in that funk for a bit but that it was important to find what was going to pull me out of it. You can't be pulled out of a funk like that until you are ready, plain and simple. 

I am so glad that I have found my rhythm again and that this funk I was in is gone! Being able to go to SLAM every day again has been the best. E and Kyle enjoy it as much as I do and it's so fun to have that experience as a family. 
I know that E is watching us and I hope that we are setting a good example for her. We are showing her that it's important to take care of yourself both mentally and physically. 
Don't forget to take care of yourself during the chaos of life! No matter what that entails! Self-care is critical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing from you!! :)