Wednesday, June 6, 2018

10 Years

On June 21st, Kyle and I will celebrate 10 years of marriage. It feels surreal writing that because it really does not feel like it has been that long. 

Let's face it, marriage is hard! It is also one of the most amazing and joyous experiences but it's hard. 

For those that don't know our backstory, here goes. Kyle and I originally met when we were in middle school. He was that geeky kid in our history that just wouldn't leave me alone. I thought he was sweet but that was it. We stayed friends and tried to date in high school, that failed because we went to different schools and neither of us could drive. Fast forward to early 2008, he had a broken engagement and I had just gotten divorced in late 2007. We "dated", I put that in parentheses because it was long distance thanks to the Army and well, it was quick. 
Once we reconnected I think we both knew we had something special and only 3 months after we started dating we got married. Throw in a cross country move to North Carolina and you've got yourself a whirlwind. 
I think when you're dating it is much easier to throw in the towel when things get hard. For us having gotten married so quickly we had to really work for it. It wasn't easy. We were both learning each others quirks and figuring out who we were as a couple. We were two very similar people, hello stubbornness haha. I look back on those hard times now and I am so thankful for them. They shaped us and showed us the type of relationship that we wanted to have. Every relationship has their trials and tribulations, that's completely normal. For us, we have the added element of the military. It has made for some challenging times and honestly times for me when I've asked myself, "is this worth it?!". However, every single time I have the same answer, "yes, it is so worth it". 

We have learned so much over the last 10 years. We have learned that we are each others biggest cheerleaders, no one can infuriate us they way each other does, no one makes us laugh the way each other does, and that at the end of the day there is no one else we would rather go through life with. I look at Kyle everyday and I'm reminded just how lucky I am. I am lucky to have someone that I look forward to sharing everyday with. Sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly times. Are there days when we look at each other and roll our eyes, haha yes! It's normal. 

Now, we are raising this little person together. We get to teach her all of the lessons that we have learned about life and relationships. Hopefully, we don't screw her up too bad haha.
So to my husband on this momentous milestone, thank you! Thank you for making everyday of the last 10 years an adventure and for being the one I am so proud to call mine. I love you.

24 comments:

  1. Happy early anniversary to you both

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you both! Yes, marriage can be flipping hard sometimes, but I love the positive spin you've put on it. The negatives are great learning experiences, and it's good to frame them that way. Enjoy celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Everything in life is a learning in experience and marriage is no different. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. Happy anniversary!!!! I found myself nodding along to your post when you talked about the trials and how in dating it's easier to throw in the towel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it resonated with you!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary! I love your long love story! Here's to many more blissful years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy early anniversary!! You guys are so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10 years!!! Loved this walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like it has gone by so fast!

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary to you love birds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for 10 years and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the big 10 years!! I love seeing photos of the three of you together, you always have the best smiles!
    Angel and I met 10 years ago this year but we were also friends for a while first, so we won't hit a decade of marriage just yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adventure. So crazy how things work out later in life. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy early anniversary! I still think that it's so cool that y'all have known each other for so long and then had such a whirlwind romance!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)