Tuesday, February 20, 2018

When Running Becomes Emotional

When I started running 5 years ago I never saw it as something that I could (or would) get emotional about. I know I've been talking a lot about running lately but it really is such a huge part of my life. It was something that I enjoyed doing and I never really pushed myself to get faster, I was comfortable with what I was doing. I've run a marathon but even after that race I wasn't emotional. However, over the the last year something has changed. 

I've been pushing myself. Pushing myself to see what I'm capable of. Honestly, it's scary. Scary because I didn't want to fall into the trap of comparing myself to others. I didn't want to worry about how fast someone else was or how amazing their endurance is when it comes to distance. I wanted to push myself for me. 

I've been working a lot on my distance lately but with that I've also been paying attention to my speed. Thanks to my SLAM classes, I've noticed a tremendous change. People don't realize how much of running is related to your core. Cross-training for me has been huge. I run several nights a week, sometimes with a group and sometimes solo. Last week I ran a solo 10 miler and was shocked when I saw my pace. The best part was that I felt great. I felt like I could keep going and not burn out.
We had a 10k on Saturday morning and I was feeling pretty good. I had a goal in my mind, but truth to be told, I never say them out loud. It was a pretty cold morning, which sometimes can mess with you. I started out at a pretty good pace and was instantly annoyed because I didn't want to burn out. Then it clicked, holy cow I feel good haha. I got close to mile 5 and that's where I saw Kyle. I thought to myself, "He has either slowed down or I have really sped up." Even pushing E, he is amazingly fast. I looked at my watch and grinned. The photographer caught me right after I looked.
Shortly after I was running side by side with Kyle. For the first time EVER! This was the first time that I was keeping pace with him and not slowing him down. He would never say it but I know running with me previously was hard for him because it hurt his knees. 
I felt the emotions welling up, which sounds silly. I knew I was going to crush my time because the hard work that I had put into this was paying off. 

Then I realized something, not only was I going to PR this race but Kyle was too. We were able to do it together and as a family. We crossed the finish line together and I burst into tears. This was the first time that the emotions really took a hold of me. It was special.
We finished at 51:31 which was an 8:19/mile pace. This may not mean much to others but it means a whole hell of a lot to me. 
I was emotional and so damn proud at the end of that race. It proves that hard work does pay off and that it's worth it. The best part is I'm having fun and we are having fun as a family.

21 comments:

  1. So happy for you! I would be emotional too. It's emotional just reading this. I understand when something means so much to you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sweet friend!!! It's been an amazing journey so far.

      Delete
  2. Way to go!!!! That’s so awesome!!! I’m definitely not a fast runner or a distance runner so the fact that your had about an 8 minute mile for 6 miles is insane to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jen! I am so happy for you! You should be very proud of your accomplishments! You have always been a great role model for running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You should be beyond proud of your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome. Congrats on your PR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think an 8 minute mile is impressive! The fastest I have ever paced was about the same and I will never beat it. Congratulations, and so true, working hard makes you prouder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredible!! I love to see your passion for running. It's good for you and I love that it's something you can share with your whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so proud of you!!!! I had tears in my eyes as I read your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I could finish a 6+ mile race at any length. Sounds like a good pace you'll had

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could! :) You just never know what you are capable of!

      Delete
  10. You go girl!! This brought all the feels!! But yes, it's amazing how your running can improve when working out! I find that if I've been working out, getting back into running is not that hard. But I've sprained my ankle haha so no running for me just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so great! I think even when I was running track, my best mile time was in the nine minute range. You should definitely be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You rock! That is so awesome. I jog only so I can fit into my pants, but I know so many track their times, which is cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's been a fun journey.

      Delete
  13. I love this so much, because running has become part of my identity too, so seeing someone else get so excited (and emotional) about it, makes me feel normal. I am so proud of you and all that you have accomplished! Dane hates running with me, because I'm not fast AT ALL, so running with Kyle is HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go, Jen! Keep it up but don't overdo it either! I am trying to walk faster lately, when the weather allows, as Phil walks slower because of me. That's why he goes around again, faster, without me. Congrats, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing job! You really are an inspiration for me to keep running! Great example to all of us to work hard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so amazing! And to finish during the Sweetheart Run? Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! You've definitely worked hard and earned that PR!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)