Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Fit Challenge

A few weeks ago I signed up for a challenge through my workout group, Stroller Strong Moms. It's a 9 week long fit challenge that focuses on both fitness and nutrition. The goal is to improve our fitness and diet all while supporting each other and having a good time.

Last week was the beginning stage of the challenge and we all took a fitness assessment. It consisted of:

1 minute of thrusters (27)
1 minute of hand release push-ups (24)
1/2 mile run (3:38)
2 minutes of step-ups (1 minute on each leg) (124)
Plank (for as long as you can) (1:44)

We were also weighed and measured.

A few photos from my assessment day.
We recorded all of our scores and over these next 9 weeks we will work to improve. We were able to write down our fitness and nutrition goals as well. Each week we are given different smaller challenges (this week is to drink only water). 

The fitness aspect of the challenge I am really excited about. One of my goals is to get my 5k time down by 2 minutes. We ran a 5k over the weekend and I was able to gain a PR! I shaved 26 seconds off my time and I'm excited to continue to work on this.
 Sunday I wanted to log 10 miles and thankfully a group of us were already meeting up to do 6. I convinced another friend to meet me for 4 miles beforehand. So thankful for my SLAMsisters, Kyle joked that we would look like a gang running around post haha.
Hopefully I can continue to improve my fitness over the next 9 weeks and really focus on my goals.

Now the nutrition is the part that I struggled with. I absolutely love food, there is no question about that. We are meat eaters in our house and most of the nutrition plan is plant based. Cue the freak out. One of my goals was to make at least 2 meatless meals per week. The meals use a lot of fresh vegetables, lentils, beans, and a ton of spices. I committed to doing this and I want to make the most of it. I want to be better about the choices I make which also includes making sure I eat breakfast (I'm terrible when it comes to this). Let's be honest, I'll slip up and that's okay. I'm going to make modest changes but not get down on myself if I have ice cream or a sweet treat.

Here are two of the meals that I have made so far. For the record, they are delicious!

Brussels-Sprouts Stir Fry
Spaghetti and Trees
(If you are interested in the recipes, let me know and I can send them to you!) I've got 3 more meatless planned this week and I'm excited to try them. 

I am excited to see how things go over the next 9 weeks. It will be fun to cheer each other on during this challenge and see what we can accomplish.

Have you ever done a challenge like this before?

18 comments:

  1. How exciting! You're going to do great! Sweet treats now and then will keep you going. No worries! Im excited to hear about your end results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I'm excited to see how everything goes.

      Delete
  2. Get it girl! Go you for doing meatless meals at least 2 times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imagine if everyone had to go vegan for a week, people who freak out

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing awesome! I have never done a challenge like this before because I am super lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first started cooking a plant based diet, I had many, many freak outs! I love that you're so open to trying it and I love Brussel Sprout stir fry (I like it with cauli rice too), so right away I was like..THAT LOOKS SO YUMMY! Proud of you for diving head first into the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck to you with meeting your goals. I like that you are making small changes, and not complete turn-around changes. Love the cover on the stroller so you can bring the baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this type of challenge! I think seeing the progress over this amount of time is great because it's really measurable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great Fit Challenge! I look forward to hearing about your meatless meals journey...ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm excited to see your results! I don't think I could give up meat either but we try to do meatless Mondays when we remember. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun!! I love these challenges but haha, I've never done one. I really struggle with the nutrition aspect because cooking is challenging and last thing I want to do when I come home around 8pm. HA. But guess what girl?!?! I'm doing my first 5k race in a lifetime this Saturday!! I can't wait to see your results!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are KILLING IT!! Your dedication to your fitness goals is so freaking inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We totally had a running gang on post in Hawaii! HAHA! We did a similar assessment in our fitness class too, and it's amazing to see how much you can grow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow-- lot of running! 5k in 2 minutes, really? I need to get to eating better as well. Not walking as much as it's been cold and raining. Hopefully we can walk in the light of day this weekend, which I like so much better! Keep up the good work and glad you have some friends to help you thru it and life as well! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are some great goals! I love that you all are doing it together which makes them a little bit easier. "Running Gang" hahaha love it!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)