Friday, February 3, 2017

Tips for Moving

As we prepare for another move with the military (as are many others due to the Summer move cycle),  I wanted to share some things that have helped us during the process. Especially when it comes to the military moving, I know quite a few people that have chosen to move themselves. I'm sorry but there is not enough alcohol in the world that would make me want to do that.

Here are just a few tips that I have figured out over our several moves with the Army.

Pre-Move 

*Keep all of your important documents in one place. I have a binder that keeps everything together, you have no idea how much time this will save you.

*If you have pets make sure you get all their vet records, that way when you get to your new home you will be ready to go.

*PURGE! Get rid of stuff that you don't need, especially with a military move. You are only allowed a certain weight and believe me you can hit that pretty quickly if you aren't careful.

*Shred any old documents, that way you aren't having random items packed and you will get rid of unnecessary paperwork.

*Keep any valuables with you especially jewelry, they likely won't pack it anyway.

*Take notice of any furniture that was already damaged before the move, that way you can differentiate between what was already damaged and what got damaged in the move.

*I bubble wrap important items, we have so many plaques and awards that I wrap just as an added precaution.

*Put all of your silverware and kitchen utensils in plastic bags. This avoids them just getting dumped in boxes.

*Put all of your sheets and towels into vacuum seal bags, this will keep them from smelling funny when you get to the new place.

*Pack up all your electronic cords and put them into a giant plastic tote. Our first move was a nightmare when it came to this. We ended up missing several important cords.

*Keep boxes to televisions (and other electronics), if you don't have them they will have to make one and it can be a pain.

*Vacuum seal formal dresses and uniforms. It makes me nervous that something will happen to my dresses and Kyle's dress uniform so I make sure to vacuum seal them so they are safe.

*Take down all curtains/curtain rods and pictures before the movers show up. They normally tell you that you don't have to do it but it makes things go so much faster.

*If you have the time take an inventory of all video games, movies and CDs. Just in case something goes missing you can identify exactly what those items are. Also keep track of serial numbers on high value items.

*Have your mail forwarded to your new home, if you don't already have a new place have it sent to a family member.
 
Mid-Move
 
*If you feel so inclined provide food and drinks for the packers/movers, this obviously isn't a requirement but it does help the process.

*A recent one I learned is use color coded tape to identify the boxes. That way in your new place you can tell the movers what boxes correspond to each room.

*If you are keeping items with you make sure you put them in a designated place. Preferably in a bathroom with a sign on the door. Movers get packing happy and will pack anything (including trash lol).

*Make sure you keep cleaning supplies and a vacuum. That way cleaning your soon to be old home is easy and you aren't trying to borrow things from friends.

*Make sure that walls and floors aren't damaged, if you notice damage let your transportation liaison know right away.

Post-Move

* Ensure that all items that were taken apart before loading are put back together. 

* Make sure that you notate any damage right away! Make the movers aware that you will be filing a claim. 

*Gather the proper documentation to submit to transportation and make sure to weigh vehicles (if you are doing a partial or full dity move) if you did not do so at your old duty station.

*Make sure you have your mail forwarded to your new address and change the address on all of your accounts. 

* Enjoy your new home!

I hope these tips have helped, not just for military moves but for moving in general. 

Any tips that have helped you when moving? 


30 comments:

  1. Ugh moving is one of my least favorite things...part of the reason that I reupped my lease and didn't move in with Will is because I HATE Moving haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips! Luckily we're not taking furniture this time, but I'll definitely be using bags and plastic totes as you suggest to keep things organised. Also I went ahead and bought some vacuum storage bags for our clothes and didn't know if I was being a bit OTT, I'm glad to hear not! I figured 6-8 weeks at sea is enough to make anything a bit damp and I'd rather not unpack mouldy clothes when we arrive.

    I think we have to label our boxes specifically for Australian customs. Certain labels will ensure boxes get inspected (=$$$) so we'll have to be careful on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips! I have only had the one major move and I disliked it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips! I think this spring will be our seventh move with the army? And I have come to realize I like packing A LOT of stuff myself! Our move from Alaska I packed everyones closets in wardrobe boxes because I wanted everything to stay on the hangers. LOL! I think this time I will be packing our playroom as well, it just takes way too long when they are wrapping every little lego and stuffed animal. And you just reminded me to make vet appointments, so thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg. Our dity move was the stuff of nightmares!! Make sure you get a truck big enough for your shit lol!! So you aren't renting a new truck the day you move out!! You couldn't pay me to do that again....god what did I get myself into. Hahahaha. I'm so envious of these movers and packers you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously question the sanity of people who do DITY moves, haha! I don't think Kyle and I would survive it.

      Delete
  6. These are all so great - I am the worst packer/mover. Um, also I am behind on blogs, but where are you moving to?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The different colored packing tape is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I moved for the first time last year. We did it all ourselves (we also only traveled only a few miles) but it was still a nightmare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! You guys are awesome. Moving is definitely a stressful experience.

      Delete
  9. I never thought about putting silverware in a plastic bag. I always end up washing it all because it was loose in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great list! We love the vacuum seal bags for just about everything! I never thought about the utensils but its so smart! We put wide masking tape on ziplock bags for parts instead of having them wrap it up in the paper and tossing them in the parts box there are just so many times when there are random screws in the bottom that we have no clue where they go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vacuum seal bags are the best! I should just buy stock in the company haha.

      Delete
  11. We've been married almost three years and moved three times. We are now done moving, hopefully for a very long time if not forever! Your tips are awesome though! I always keep a basket with handsoap, toilet paper, some cash, paper towels and cleaning spray, and granola bars or something -- things we might need immediately when we get to the new place and won't want to search for. I also keep our bedsheets separate and in a safe place so I can put them on the bed right away so that we can at least get a good night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PCS time is always fun! I found your blog because I am looking for information about Fort Polk. I am having a hard time find much information about the area and it looks it will be our next home. Any information would be great. Best area to live, fun things for kids, where to shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!! Feel free to send me an email at marathonsanddogtags@yahoo.com I'll be happy to answers any question you have about Polk! :)

      Delete
  13. I hate moving but luckily for me, or unluckily?, I don't have a whole house to move so I'm definitely purging a lot of things... Though this time around, I'll look to ship a few boxes max but screw the silverware! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great list. We've (unfortunately) had to do something insane like 5 moves on our own between the two of us, so it was almost like a breath of fresh air when the military did it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an awesome list! The boyfriend and I are moving in together in a few weeks and while I am so so so excited, the moving bit, meh, not so much haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. These tips are amazing! My husband and I will be making our first PCS together once he is done at CCC...I have been wondering how to do this! Thank you for the tips! Happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the post! I hope the tips help make your move a little less stressful! :)

      Delete
  17. Great tips for anyone who is moving! I have only moved once in my marriage and I swore I would never do it again, ha-ha. Actually, we really do love our home and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our last move I saran wrapped things like my silverware, jewelry tray, and glass thing with lids but no boxes. It helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tips! Preparing ahead of time is the number one key to staying sane during a PCS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Where are you heading to this time? Should you ever make it to Germany, please let us know 😀

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've moved twice. The first one was our first for the military and we were unprepared. The second one we were notified about 45 days total beforehand and we're out of town on a preplanned trip visiting family for 10 of them...also totally unprepared. Our next pcs I hope we are able to prepare and plan for a little bit more. I'll definitely be using your tips!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)