Thursday, November 16, 2017

Running For A Cause

A few weeks ago I threw my name into the lottery for the Chicago Marathon. I was content to wait for the lottery and take my chances. However, about a week ago a good friend of mine put me in contact with the Homes for our Troops organization because they field a team to fundraise and run the Chicago Marathon and other events. 

For those who are not familiar with Homes For Our Troops they are remarkable organization that builds and donates homes to severely injured post 9/11 veterans. My friend's husband received a home through this organization and it has been such a huge blessing. 
They ensure that these selfless individuals are given an opportunity to live as independently as possible. Not only does this organization provide homes but they also stay in contact with the veteran to ensure they are continuing to be taken care of. Since 2004 they have built 240 specially adapted homes, which to me is amazing. 

After talking to the team lead I realized that this is the direction I wanted to go. On October 7, 2018, I will be running the Chicago Marathon as part of the Homes For Our Troops team! 
Over the next year I will be fundraising for and ensuring that the word gets out about this organization that gives so much to the military community. I am thrilled beyond words to combine two things I'm passionate about: the military/veterans and running. 

Any sort of support is appreciated, both moral and monetary. If you feel inclined to donate here is the link to my fundraising page. Thank you all so much for the support during this process!


Feel free to share this link as well. I want everyone to know about this amazing organization that does so much for so many. 

Here is to a great year of training and fundraising!

13 comments:

  1. Oh what a great cause and perfect that you get to run the marathon AND with a group helping vets. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! This is how my cousin got to do it, she ran for the American Heart Association in honor and memory of her dad! I will be happy to support you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I've heard of the charity group

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just donated. This is awesome you’re doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s so awesome that you got selected to run the Chicago Marathon and that you’re running for a great cause as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great cause! And how awesome that you get to run the Chicago Marathon!! You rock, lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! Definitely sharing it and wishing you good luck with the fundraising and the race!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I think your running is amazing, and how great you get to do it for a good cause. I'm glad to be able to support you from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is amazing and for such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you!! :)