Hi everyone! I'm Meg from Borrowed Heaven, and I'm so happy to guest post for Jen while she is away. Her blog was one of the very first I ever followed and has always been one of my favorites.
I'm assuming that all of you are incredibly jealous that she is on vacation, like I am [the jealous part, not the vacation part]. So, I thought it would be fun to share 10 entertaining and inexpensive activities to help you have your own mini summer stay-cation!
1. Head out in search of yard sales, local art shows, or farmers' markets. They provide a full day of fun and you don't have to spend any money... unless you want to. Some even have petting zoos [free + getting to pet the animals = way better than real zoos!!].
2. Find a basketball court, tennis court, a field, or even go bike riding. These places are usually open to the public and making exercise fun is always, well, fun!
3. Become a tourist in your own city or town. Head over to your chamber of commerce or city hall and ask for a map. I bet there are a few places you haven't been to before!
4. Purchase lawn games once and you'll have a full summer... even summers... of fun! Ladder golf, bags [or tailgate toss or corn hole or whatever you call it], and polish horseshoes are my favorites. Slip and slides are fun, too!
5. Enjoy a picnic in the park. Pack some sandwiches, snacks, dessert, and drinks and enjoy time with your friends or a special someone.
6. When I go berry picking, I never eat lunch beforehand. Yes, they tell you not to stuff your face, but come on, berries are always the best when they're super fresh. Plus, bring tons home and spend your night making delicious desserts!
7. Go to the beach, a lake, or a pond. Each one is a great way to beat the summer heat, and at most places you can get a whole carload of people in for one low price.
8. Rainy day? Rent a movie from Redbox and grab a few snacks for a fun night in. Or, if you want to go out, find a local IKEA or Target for endless hours of entertainment.
9. Once the sun sets, find an open park or even the beach and go star gazing.
10. If adventures like miniature golf, batting cages, museums, boat rentals, even cooking class or ghost tours are more your style, subscribe to Groupon or Living Social to get emails for deals like these half or more off their normal price!